© 2016 by Monroe County Historical Society. All rights reserved.

22 West Second Street, Monroe, MI 48161     (734) 344-7355      johnsonphinneybuilding22@gmail.com

A Vision for Monroe

The Monroe County Historical Society will be forever grateful to
Mr. Knabush and Mr. Shoemaker for their extraordinary generosity.

They had a vision for Monroe County that, with hard work, led to what is today considered a legacy. Had the Society not received their heartfelt monetary gifts, we would not have been able to accomplish the many tasks brought to completion since 1938. 

 

With the support of Mr. Knabush and Mr. Shoemaker, we formulated a mission that has remained steadfast for nearly a century: to preserve, promote and perpetuate Monroe County's historical, cultural and ecological assets. We have put substance to this mission by celebrating the sites and people whose threads help weave our community's colorful tapestry.

 

Would Mr. Knabush and Mr. Shoemaker be pleased with the strides we have made since their early support? We think so.

 

They were, of course, not the only citizens of Monroe to contribute to our efforts - in fact, it is our wish to thank the many families, friends, corporations, and local companies who have donated to the Society throughout the years. Your philanthropy helps instill pride in the hearts of all who call Monroe home. 

How can we ever say THANK YOU!!

Chronology of Accomplishments

1938 to 1989

1938 – Society forms; quartered in Sawyer Building

 

1939 – Historic Trails Committee formed by JS Gray

 

1948 – Purchase of Eby Log Cabin

 

1955 – Custer Monument moved to Monroe Street

              33 markers placed by Trails Committee

 

1956 – Bridge School acquired from Dundee Board of Education

 

1959 – St. Antoine Park developed

 

1960 – Eby Cabin placed on County fairgrounds

 

1961 – Cabin shown to 20,000 Fair visitors

 

1962 – Museum opens year-round

 

1966 – Monroe County Historical Commission created to operate Museums

 

1967 – First full-time Museum Director

 

1969 – Country Store Exhibit opened in Papermill School Building

 

1971 – Gift of Navarre-Anderson Trading Post

 

1972 – Monroe Post Office Building acquired

 

1973 – New Museum building dedicated during Michigan Week

 

1974 – Architectural Survey of County completed

 

1976 – Archaeological studies at River Raisin Battlefield begin

 

1979 – Phinney Building saved and moved

 

1982 – Navarre-Morris Cabin moved to Trading Post site

 

1983 – Enlarged Custer Exhibit completed

 

1984 – Navarre-Anderson Trading Post opened

 

1986 – River Raisin Battlefield site acquired

 

1988 – Country Store porch and improvements

 

1989 – Trading Post Barn constructed

 

Bridge School, Raisinville Township

Navarre-Anderson Trading Post

Bridge School, Raisinville Township